Clarinet and My Younger Son


My younger son decided he wanted to play an instrument too.  I'm not entirely sure how committed he is about it, but I figured why not?  I'm just renting the instruments.  Normally, I wouldn't, but here's the theory.  If it turns out they aren't that interested I can just return the instruments in practically the same condition I got them from the store in and not have to pay anything extra.  I don't feel like I put $650.00 into something that's not going to get used.

So my younger son decided that he wanted to play the clarinet.  I asked him if he was sure.  He said, "Yes."  I didn't want to influence him on the clarinet if that's not what he really wants to play.  I wanted to make sure.  He stated he wanted to play it.  I had a clarinet for several months in high school and was teaching myself how to play it.  So, I have a little experience on the clarinet.  I was trying to teach both of my kids about their instruments last night and it was crazy.  I helped my youngest son first, since you have to put it together and it's been over ten years since I've touched a clarinet.  I explained to him the best way I possibly could to blow into the mouthpiece.  He wasn't able to get a sound.  I had to eventually try.  I was able to and explained what to do.  Then, he was able to make the sound.  It was so much fun.  It was fun teaching him, it was fun playing.  I'll admit.  I was able to use it later and I forgot how much I enjoy the sound of the clarinet.  I could've had fun playing it all night, but it was late at that point and we had to eat dinner.

(Photo from Microsoft Free Images)

Comments

Popular Posts